Pest Proofing in Winter
- Look for missing roof shingles, ripped window screens and clogged gutters, all of which are entry points for pests.
- Seal cracks and holes including entry points for utilities and pipes.
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around basement foundations and windows.
- Keep basements, attics and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
- Vacuum around doors and windows. Frequent vacuuming can catch invaders like spiders, silverfish, earwigs and beetles.
- Inspect garages and outbuildings for rodents or signs of a rodent infestation. Organize cluttered debris, boxes and random items along the walls where mice may hide or nest.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and brush it off before bringing it indoors.