The Zika Virus has been all over the media in recent months and the attention on the virus is growing as quickly as the virus itself is spreading. So what do you need to know?
The Zika Virus is a mosquito-borne illness whose severity varies. The symptoms are very similar to flu-like symptoms but in severe cases it has been known to cause birth defects in babies whose mothers are infected with the virus and even death. Most people that are infected have such mild symptoms that they are unaware that they are even infected. According to the CDC, it is likely that once you have had the Zika Virus you are more than likely protected from getting it again in the future.
The vast discrepancy between the severity of symptoms is what has people worried the most. According to the Dallas Morning News this morning, scientists are concerned enough that they are genetically engineering mutant mosquitoes that will actually help to combat the Zika Virus. But while that may sound like something out of a sci-fi movie, there are some very practical things that you and your family can do to protect yourselves from the Zika Virus this mosquito season.
1. Eliminate any potential mosquito breeding grounds around your home. This includes any standing water such as bird baths or low lying areas in your lawn that pools water.
2. Clean your rain gutters of any debris. Build up in them can create drainage problems and again create standing water issues.
3. Make sure that your screen doors and windows are free of any tears or holes that can allow for insects to come in.
4. Utilize insect repellent and citronella candles when spending time outdoors.
5. Be proactive by getting your home seasonally treated by Sureguard Termite and Pest Services mosquito control.
While there is still a lot of unknowns in the battle against the Zika Virus, one thing is certain that mosquito prevention is a great way to help defend against it. Sureguard Termite and Pest Services is here to help. Call 855.668.4000 today for a free service estimate and we will be happy to assist you with discovering any potential breeding grounds and treat the areas in and around your home